Thursday 21 March 2013

Movies

Everyone loves movies. Different countries produce movies based on their cultures and life styles.  Everyone has different taste in movies. I enjoy different types of movies on different occasions. When it's holiday, I love to watch "Love Actually". When it's a relax movie night, I will choose to watch an easy laughing comedy movie. But my true love for movies are those classic old fashioned movies.

My parents, especially my dad was kinda brainwashed by Western style living. Back in 60 or 70s, there were not many western films showed in China. The ones that were showed in China are often old classic movies that made in 40 or 50s in Hollywood. When my parents start dating in the 70s, they would often go to movie theatre to watch those films, such as "War and peace", "Gone with the wind", "Casablanca", etc. My mom had a whole collection of books that were written by Leo Tolstoy and Charlotte Bronte till today. They are the true romantics. Till today, my dad loves coffee for breakfast instead of green tea (the chinese way) and enjoy a good medium rare cooked steak.

I started to watch movies when I was about 5 years old. When many children prefer to play toys, I will sit in front of TV with my little black dog when there were movies on. My first memory of western movies is called "Sissi". It was a story of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria in a young age. I have no idea if they were product in U.S.A or in other European Country. All I remembered was the ocean view and beautiful dresses and the prince and princess who lives happily ever after.

We don't own any fancy tape player or cable TV until much later, I would read the TV program Section on newspaper and circle the movies out. I will quickly do my homework and get all the things done, so I can watch the movie without any distraction.

I loved how the movies show the blue sky, the beautiful ocean view and often dreamed I will get to see them in future. I loved how the movies played about true love, the living in the moment. I dreamed that there will be a prince that come and take my away (well, not really away, I love my parents. And I was in teens that time.) My parents believed this is why I am a true romantic just like them.

Those are the old days. When I finally got to see the blue sky and beautiful house here, I got used to it that it wasn't sparkle for me anymore. When I moved to Vancouver, I saw a different view of the blue sky. Maybe because I moved here for love, suddenly it reminds the little girl who wanted to see the blue sky and ocean.

One thing that never changed is my idol. I had many idols when I grow up, but this one is special. This one is just so timeless and has been adopted to different cultures, her name is Audrey Hepburn. Audrey Hepburn is not only a beauty idol of mine, but also how she lived her life. There are so much more that I can talk about how she inspire me. That will be another post.

When I found her book in Thrifty store today, I got very excited.  For $1, I get to bring this beautiful book home. I am lucky that it's not just a dream on reading it at the beach under the sun and blue sky.I get to do it right here right now. Life sure is good.



My dad and I in Toronto

Beautiful ocean view in Kits Beach


The cheap find in Thrifty Store today




2 comments:

  1. I love Audrey Hepburn too. She was a wonderful classy lady. You can watch all her movies on Netflex, I think.
    My favourite old time actress was Doris Day cuz she could sing. Loved her movies. Loved Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady".
    I really enjoy your blog & learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom's favourite old time actress was Vivien Leigh from "Gone with the wind". The old time actress are just so pretty and classy. There were no photoshop or fancy digital things back then. So they are the truth beauties who have more personality compare to actress now.

    ReplyDelete